Curiosities of Glass MakingPELLATT, Apsley
London: David Bogue. 1849.
First edition. 4to (215x165mm). pp. viii, 146. Six chromolithograph plates and numerous monochrome illustrations in the text. Original brick red cloth decorated with blind-stamped pattern to upper and lower covers and lettered in gilt to upper cover and spine. Bumping and rubbing to the extremities and slight splitting to the top of the joint with the upper cover. Internally, this is a very clean, fresh copy with the attractive colour plates in excellent condition. The inscription on the verso of the ffep reads: "Presented to J.O.N.Rutter by the author with his kind regards. Staines Middlesex. Aug 12 1850". It is probable that the recipient is the Rutter who ran the Brighton Gas Light and Coke Company and who was responsible for extending the use of gas power and lighting in ordinary domestic houses. He also patented an electric fire and burglar alarm which was displayed at the Great Exhibition of 1851.
Apsley Pellatt was born in 1791. His father (who had the same name) founded the family glass making business when he bought the Falcon glassworks in Blackfriars. Apsley (junior) joined the firm in 1811, taking it over on his father's death. Pellatt was particularly interested in the chemistry of glass-making. In 1819, he took out his first patent for the manufacture of "sulfides" or Cameo Incrustations. The process involved the embedding of ceramic figurines into the glass sides of paperweights, jugs, decanters, etc., by cutting a hole in the hot glass, sliding in the insert, and resealing the glass afterward. Pellatt became the most famous and successful producers of sulfides in England from 1819 to the mid-century rivalled only by Baccarat in France. This present book describes the manufacture of sulfides along with other historical forms of decorative glass making. Pellatt retired from the business in 1850 and was elected MP for Southwark at the 1852 general election.